Here are the thirteen winning photos from the Calendar Photograph Competition held at the 2014 village fete. These photos will go into the 2015 Community Calendar. Thank you to all entrants and everyone who voted for the winning photos.
The Llanfallteg 2014 Fete and Show was another great success with great support from the local community and organisers. At times the weather threatened but in traditional form glorious sunshine prevailed for the perfect day out.
The show competitions were organised by some new volunteers this year after Peter Icke stood down after his years of loyal service to the community fete. A new photography competition was also introduced whereby entrants submitted digital photographs which had the chance to win a spot in a 2015 community calendar. A great reception was received from entrants and voters, who voted for their favourites to go into the calendar.
Cup Winners 2014
- Jim Slater Memorial Cup for Best in Show – Lynn Meredith
- Tim Husband Cup for Best Child entry ages 8 to 16 – Gwennan Brackenbury
- Nellie Lewis Cup for Best Child entry ages 7 and under – Osian from Ysgol Bro Brynach, Meithrin / Derbyn
- Willie Reynolds Cup for best cookery entry – Rebecca Pinkney
- Cup for best fruit and vegetables – Lynn Meredith
- Cup for best flowers entry – Mia King-Allum
- Cup for best art and craft entry – Susan Donovan
- Cup for best photography entry – John Spencer
The Carmarthenshire Landscape and Heritage grant enabled us to produce a new board commemorating the Cardi Bach railway. The board is sited near to the former railway crossing on the opposite side of the road to the station and along side the route of the railway line. The board has a lively illustration by Peter Icke of how Llanfallteg station might have looked in the 1920’s, with historical and technical information provided by Dave King. Graham Meredith produced the overall design, maps and illustrations and Phil Wait Design saw the project through to final design and production. ‘BOGOF ‘ Thanks to an error in making the fixings for the board, (which caused some hassle for the team in the first place) we were given a duplicate board, which will be soon placed, near the Millennium Hall.
After months of work by members of the History Society and Community Association, the Interactive Trails Notice Board was unveiled by Lilly and Grace Young, on Saturday afternoon, 24th September. There are bilingual leaflets to go with each of the trails and those with “smart devices” will be able to scan the QR codes for additional information. Development work is ongoing and new features will appear over the next few months.
This project has been supported by the Welsh Government, Carmarthenshire County Council, The Tywi Centre, The Countryside Council for Wales, the National Trust and the European Agricultural Fund.
The first Autumn show was held on Saturday 14th of September 2013 at the Millennium Hall with a range of side events taking place in the park. Here are some pictures from the show as well as the list of show winners, thank you to everyone who took part and supported the event.
- A1 Roses – Nikki Brown
- A2 Dahlias – Latchygors
- A3 Flowering Shrub – Nikki Brown
- A4 Perrenial Flowers – Liz O’Neill
FRUIT & NUTS
- B1 Apples – Wendy Heron
- B3 Seasonal Berries – Stephen Hughes
- C1 Harvest Festival Collection – Stephen Hughes
- C2 Carrots – Candy Metcalfe
- C3 Parsnips – Stephen Hughes
- C4 Runner Beans – Nikki Brown
- C5 Sweet Corn – Liz O’Neill
- C6 Salad vegetables – Liz O’Neill
- C7 @ of any vegetable – Candy Metcalfe
COOKING & PRESERVES
- D1 Sliced cake – Linda Cooke
- D2 Jar of Pickles – Nikki Brown
- D3 Jar of Chutney – Claire Mead
- D4 Bread rolls – Gwennan Brackenbury
- F1 Jar of Honey – Wendy Heron
- F2 Bale of Hay – Wendy King
- F4 Small cheese – Linda Cooke
- F5 6 Hen’s eggs – Mia King
BEST IN SHOW – Stephen Hughes’ Harvest Festival Collection
- K2 Wild Autumn Flowers – Rhys Goymer
COOKING & PRESERVES
- M1 A cake made from hedgerow fruit – Miles Cooke
- M2 Pot of chutney or jam – Tiri Brackenbury
- M3 Bread baked to look interesting – Miles Cooke
BEST IN SHOW – Miles Cooke’s Hedgerow fruit cake